ARKANSAS DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND ARKANSAS HIGHWAY POLICE PREPARING STATEWIDE FOR UPCOMING WINTER WEATHER EVENT
LITTLE ROCK (2-12) – The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) and Arkansas Highway Police (AHP) are encouraging residents to stay off the roads and stay warm during the upcoming winter weather event. Starting Sunday, February 14, AHP is preparing to assist motorists during the dangerous conditions that could be caused by the winter storm while ARDOT crews work to keep the roads passable.
AHP will have officers aiding ARDOT maintenance crews on major highways by providing traffic control for equipment operators and on patrol checking on road conditions to help keep IDriveArkansas updated with the most recent information.
Some safety measures if you must travel during this winter weather event:
- Let others know your planned route and expected arrival time
- Check brakes, wipers, fluids, and tire pressure
- Pack warm clothing, blankets, flashlight, ice scraper, sand or cat litter, jumper cables, non-perishable food, and drinking water
- Chanre your phone before you go and take a charging cord with you
- Allow extra time for your drive
- Slow down and avoid distractions
- And as always, make sure to buckle up
Drivers should exercise extra caution when approaching and traveling through all highway work zones during the winter weather. Additional travel information can be found at IDriveArkansas.com or ARDOT.gov. You can also follow us on Twitter @IDriveArkansas for traffic and @myARDOT for everything else.